In Imperfectly Perfect Painting, I share how I work through what I call ‘the ugly stage’ to help you be more bold in your artwork and develop your own style.
By the end of class, you’ll have five super loose and free paintings and the template to get you started again and again, so you can keep exploring and find your own artistic voice.
That means we’ll draw and paint big-eyed characters, primitive portraits, whimsical animals, feather-haired girls, sunshine flowers, inked-up backgrounds and more! I’ll also show you how to paint a lusciously layered face in under 12 minutes with just a few supplies, so even if you don’t have a lot of space or time, you can still get creative and play.
We’ll paint with our fingertips, have fun scribbling and smudging with chalk and play with neonbright colors. And, with each demo, I’ll use just a few of my favorite basic and inexpensive art supplies, so the class doesn’t need to be a huge investment.
In almost every painting, I hit an ‘ugly stage.’ For me, that’s a super negative point where I feel like I won’t be able to pull my painting together. But I’ve learned that hitting that ugly stage is just part of my creative process. Instead of allowing the negativity and self-doubt to take over, I remember to stop trying to paint something perfect and return to having fun (whether that means starting a new painting, splattering inks all over or breaking free and completely covering up the parts of my painting I just don’t like).
There is 1 year access to the classroom, so even if you don’t have a chance to get to everything now, there’s always plenty of time.
- five mixed media painting projects
- how to paint a portrait in under 12 minutes
- new mixed media faces and eyes
- quieting the inner critic
- layering with various art supplies
- drawing and sketching
- playing with color
- loosening up and letting go
- art journal pages and sketchbook paintings
- adding top coats
- simple shape template for creating any whimsical animal or character
- Five in-depth painting videos with me talking you through every step of my process, layer by layer, so you know what I’m doing and why
- Step by Step Template and Video for Creating Any Whimsical Character
- Step by Step Video for Drawing Eyes
- How To Video for Adding Top Coats (My 3-Step Process)
- With each lesson, I’ll share tips and things to remember along with a detailed materials and colors list
Downloadable Cheat Sheets
- printable pdf with simple step by step instructions for drawing eyes
- printable pdf with simple step by step instructions for shading faces
- printable pdf with simple shape template for creating different characters
- Private Facebook group full of community support and encouragement.
|Includes Five In-Depth Painting Projects (Videos with Narration) plus Bonus Videos, Downloadable Cheat Sheets & Forever Access to Private Facebook Community, On-going Online Course|
|For anyone and everyone. Beginners and children are welcome. I try and instruct in a way that benefits beginner and skilled artists.Click here to see student work.|
Your owl painting class has truly been an inspiration for me and my artwork. I especially liked your thoughts about loosening up and letting your creativity flow. It truly helped my creative blocks at times. – Shaun Wingerter
Sitting down in front of my computer in the morning and logging into this class was the highlight of my day. You are an exceptional teacher and I have learned so much. Thank you for the countless hours it took you to prepare this class. You are my inspiration. I liked watching the videos over and over again and when I went to create my owl, I was pleased with what I had done…..this would not be possible without such an excellent teacher. – Jacqueline Bartels
I’ve been painting like a crazed person, one owl after another and each one different. What a great time I am having! Thank you for all your lessons and helpful hints. Watching you paint is amazing! Thank you for the “ugly” stage, I have often given up at this stage, but not anymore. I just keep on going. – Patricia Armbrust