I wanted to create a course that would help you build a library of characters and creatures that you could quickly create and then easily add to in a style that is unique to YOU.
Having fun, learning to let go and not being afraid to cover up my paintings have become essential to my creative process. I’ve fallen in love with mixed media painting and out of all of the painting techniques I’ve ever tried, the one thing I always return to is remembering to have fun with whatever it is I’m creating. This brings joy into the process, which inevitably gets infused into your artwork and always makes anyone who sees it smile..
WEEKLY VIDEOS COVER
- painting and various techniques to create whimsical animals
- sketching and coloring animals
- simple drawing templates for creating any animal
- mixed media backgrounds
- creating layers
- making your animal your own
- painting eyes and faces
- adding top coats
Three very in-depth posts per week
- weekly technique posts include video demos with me talking, step by step photos, optional assignments and written explanations
- weekly inspiration posts with videos, photos and stories from other artists and resources
- weekly life as an artist videos and stories, answering the questions I get asked most often
- tricks I’ve learned along the way-what supplies work best, how to make everything fit together, and ways to really make your character and background pop.
- all new mixed media techniques for painting animals and creating backgrounds
- in-depth technique lessons with me talking you through every step of my painting process, layer by layer.
- life as an artist videos where I answer the questions I get asked most often
- Step by Step Template and Video for Creating Any Whimsical Character
- Step by Step Video for Drawing Eyes
- How To Video for Adding Top Coats (My 3-Step Process)
Simple Shape Templates
- all of my simple shape templates for creating whatever animal is unique to you!
Techniques for Getting Unstuck & Loosening Up
- fun and easy mixed media techniques I use to loosen up and generate new ideas
- video demos for creating luscious layers and backgrounds
Downloadable Cheat Sheets
- printable pdf with simple step by step instructions for drawing eyes
- printable pdf with simple step by step instructions for shading faces
- printable pdf with simple shape template for creating different characters
- Private Gallery & Discussion Group where I will be answering questions and giving feedback
- Private Facebook group full of community support and encouragement.
WEEKS AT A GLANCE
Week 1: Sketching and Coloring Animals
i’ll share with you all of the animal templates i use to create my characters. we’ll learn lots about color, gather inspiration and loosen up with drawing in our sketchbooks.
Week 2: Backgrounds
this week is all about playing with layers and painting our backgrounds. i’ve been experimenting with lots of new techniques and art supplies and i’ll show you all of my new favorites. i’ll also demo all of the art supplies i’ll be using during class, show you ways i use them together and when and why i choose certain mixed media supplies.
Week 3: Painting Animals
we’ll take all of our sketches and inspiration from the last two weeks and start painting our favorite animals.
Week 4: Adding Layers and Making It All Fit Together
i always love adding layers and extra whimsy to my paintings. this week i’ll show you how i choose what to paint over, what to add to make things fit together, and when i know to stop.
Week 5: More Animal Painting
this week we’ll paint more animals and i’ll show you how i add a second animal to my artwork. we’ll also combine everything we’ve been learning about color, shapes and supplies to really create a scene for our characters. we’ll get into all of the tricks i’ve learned along the way too- what supplies work best together and how to really make your characters stand out.
Week 6: Top Coats and Review
this week i’ll share the new top coats i’m using. plus we’ll go over everything we’ve learned and have lots of time to catch up. i’ll also be sure to answer any questions you might have that i’m sure will help everyone in the workshop!
|In-Depth Videos with narration, Step by Step Photo Tutorials & Life As An Artist videos each week. plus Bonus Videos, Downloadable Cheat Sheets & Forever Access to Private Facebook Community|
|For anyone and everyone. Beginners are welcomeClick here to see student work.|
|Register anytime. Self paced with instant access to the classroom|
This class was so awesome! You have succeeded in helping a “I don’t draw” person create wonderful artwork! I enjoyed every single second of your class, Juliette! You are such a gift and a true talent! – Michelle Saxon
After having so much fun with your Paint an Owl class, I had to expand & take your Whimsical Characters class. I learned so much & the techniques you use really make me feel good about my artwork (no natural abilities here). Your videos and lessons are very detailed & easy to follow (I even put my iPad next to me & stopped & started it again & again while I drew my first character step-by-step). I love that I have access to the class for a few months — I was pretty busy during the class time so just skimmed most of the lessons & will go through everything step-by-step when life settles down. The style of the Whimsical Characters art is not something that would fit in my more formal home filled with Asian antiques, but I feel like I have learned so much (backgrounds, etc.) that I will definitely use the techniques in future art. Thank you — it’s been perfect for this beginner! I especially liked the videos where you talked through, explaining everything. – Dottie P
This class was great! Juliette takes you from sketchbook to completing a painting. There’s tons of info and techniques! This is the most complete course I’ve found on creating a variety of animals. – Lynda Metcalf